First Quarter - 2010
Whole No. 54
Duck Tracks-First Quarter 2010 issue includes the following articles:
- Rui Huang's Hooded Merganser Wins Junior Duck Stamp Contest. . . .by Peter Martin.. a lone hooded merganser painted by 18-year old Rui Huange of Columbus, Ohio, captured the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's 2010 National Junior Duck Stamp Design contest.
- Duck Stamp Program Looks to a Busy Spring . . . by Patricia Fisher of the Federal Duck Stamp Office....Junior Duck Stamp Contest to be held at the Science Museum of Minnesota, in St. Paul. http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps to see the 2010 Junior Duck Stamp Contest art and to read the winning conservation message. BassPro retail outlet in Hanover, MD will be hosting the First Day of Sale for the Federal and Junior Duck stamps. Artist-signed Pane of One will be offered for sale by the Federal Duck Stamp Office. Panes will be shipped beginning June 25, the first day of sale. Order forms on the website: http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps
- Duck Stamps on Display at National Postal Museum . . . by James O'Donnell....description of several exhibits dealing with duck stamps on display at the National Postal Museum. Several exhibits of Federal Duck Stamps, including a comprehensive exhibit of the Rudy donation are available online at http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/duckstamps/
Find out how to join the National Duck Stamp Collectors Society
- Biologist Ray Bentley Dies in Oregon Plane Crash . . . Two U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists died in the crash of their small aircraft January 17 in western Oregon - Pilot Vernon Ray Bentley and David Sherwood Pitkin.
- A General Introduction to Canada and Provinces Duck, Hunting and Conservation Stamps . . .by E.S.J. van Dam.... description and illustrations of federal duck stamps as well as some of the early provincial duck stamps.
- H.Dale Hall Named CEO at Ducks Unlimited . . . A former Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service from 2005 to 2009, Hall was named Chief executive officer of Ducks Unlimited and will assume his duties on May 3.
- Canada Issues Youth Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp....14-year-old Ivy Liu from British Columbia was selected as the winning artist for the first Canadian Youth Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp. Liu's entry, entitled, "The Beauty of Nature," depicts the Kermode or Spirit Bear, a rare sub-species of Black Bear that is not an albino.
- Duck First Day is June 25 . . .The Federal Duck Stamp Office has announced that the first day ceremony for the 2010 $15 American wigeon Federal Duck stamp by Robert Bealle will be held June 25 at the Bass Pro Shop, 7000 Arundel Mills Circle in Hanover, MD..
- NDSCS Again Sponsors Annual Duck Stamp Poll . . .by Peter Martin . . .Members are invited to cast their votes for 2009 State Duck Stamps in the following categories: Best Design, Favorite Design and Worst Design. All the stamps are illustrated in full color.
- Ducks in the News . . . by Peter Martin.... 2010 Federal Duck Stamp Contest is to be held October 15-16 at the David Brower Center in Berkeley, California. Information about this year's contest is available at: http://www.fws.gov/cno/duckstamp.html Brennan Painting Wins Oklahoma Contest ...John Brennan's painting portraying a lone ringneck duck on the water captured the 2010-2011 Oklahoma Waterfowl Stamp design competition. Klinefelter Takes Nevada Contest for Fourth Time ...Jeffrey Klinefelter's painting of two northern shovelers near a patch of reeds was selected as the winner of the 2010 Nevada Duck Stamp Art Contest. Maurer Again Wins Iowa Duck Stamp Contest . . . Darren Maurer's painting of a single hooded merganser drake was judged the best from entries from around the nation. Clifton Captures 2010 Colorado Waterfowl Stamp Art Contest . . . Richard Clifton's painting depicting a pintail drake and hen touching down in a cattail marsh soared above the competition as the best portrayal of the northern pintail in the 2010 Colorado Waterfowl Stamp Art Contest. Wigeon on 2010 Texas Duck Stamp . . . Peter Mathios' "Backwater Wigeon" featuring a pair of drake wigeon that were created from birds in hand, has been selected as the 2010 Texas Duck stamp. Ohio Issues Wildlife Legacy Stamp . . . The first Ohio Wildlife Legacy stamp features a brilliantly colored Baltimore oriole. The oriole image taken by Russell Reynolds was selected during a 2009 photo contest.
- View From the Blind . . .by President Ira Cotton...2009 - the Duck Stamp Year in Review ... discussion topics include: Federal Duck Souvenir Sheet; Federal Duck Stamp Minisheet; Arizona Junior Duck Stamp; NDSCS Stamp; Minnesota Walleye Stamp; and the End of Nebraska License Stamps.
- Woman Braves Traffic, Saves 14 Ducklings . . . The Associated Press reported April 24 that a mother duck didn't survive her walk across a busy West Allis, Wisconsin roadway, but a motorist made sure her 14 ducklings stayed safe.
- Upcoming Events . . . See NDSCS Bulletin Board.