Whole No. 48
Duck Tracks-Summer 2007 issue includes the following articles:
Find out how to join the National Duck Stamp Collectors' Society
- Art for Conservation on Sanibel - Contest for 75th Duck Stamp in October. . . The nation's oldest, most pretigious art contest is coming to the J.N. 'Ding' Darling National Wildlife Refuge and Sanibel, Florida, where artwork will be chosen for the 75th Federal Duck Stamp. October 12-13, 2007. For more information on attending the planned "Art for Conservation" fundraiser and contiguous events, visit www.fws.gov/duckstamp75 or www.dingdarlingdays.com or call (239) 472-1100, ext. 221.
- New Federal Mini-Sheet Distribution Approach - New CA License Handbook . . . President Ira Cotton discusses the Duck Stamp Office's distribution system for the 2007 mini-sheet (RW74b). Some interesting letters with readers' comments about the distribution system are also printed in Duck Tracks.
In his column, Ira also announces the publishing of a new handbook covering California's pictorial hunting and fishing licenses and related ephemera. Further information about the handbook can be found at www.PaperQuestPress.com.
- Crow Creek Sioux Tribe Waterfowl and Spring Light Goose Stamps . . . by Charles Souder....
....a follow up to his article on these stamps in the last edition of Duck Tracks with illustrations included.
- Third round tie-break determines Louisiana winner . . . An unprecedented third round of voting was required as a tiebreaker to determine the winner of the 19th annual Louisiana Waterfowl Conservation Stamp Competition sponsored by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
- 20th Louisiana stamp to feature Golden Retriever . . . The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has announced that the golden retriever will be featured in the "Retrievers Save Game" series for the 2008 Louisiana Waterfowl Conservation Stamp or Louisiana duck stamp competition. For more information about the competition, contact Robert Helm at 225-765-2358 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Entries for the competition will be accepted from Oct. 15 to Oct. 19, 2007.
- 2006 Best and Worst Poll . . . Readers are asked to give their opinion on duck stamps of 2006. Illustrations are included.
- Killen to produce series of S.C. Duck Stamps ....Nationally acclaimed wildlife artist Jim Killen's painting print "Redheads at Winyah Bay," was chosen as the 2007 South Carolina Duck Stamp.
- Wood Ducks win 34th Maryland Contest . . .Jim Taylor's painting of a pair of wood ducks took home top honors and his artwork will be pictured on Maryland's 2007 Migratory Game Bird Stamp.
- 2008 Delaware Duck, Trout Stamp Winners Chosen. . .Wilmington artist John Stewart's painting featuring the greater scaup duck with the Delaware Breakwater Lighthouse will become the 2008 Delaware Duck Stamp and a painting of brown trout by Micah Hanson of Dakota, MN will appear on the 2008 Trout Stamp.
- Decoys Draw Attention on Canada Post Stamps . . . Stamps featuring four duck decoys from the Canadian Museum of Nature's art collection have recently been issued by Canada Post. The decoys chosen for this stamp issue represent four different regional species and carving styles. For more information, check Canada Post's web site at www.canadapost.ca .
- Arkansas teen wins Junior Duck Contest . . .A pair of wigeons is featured on the 2007 Federal Junior Duck Stamp. The design, painted by 18 year-old Paul Willey of Conway, AK was chosen by a panel of judges on April 27 at the Federal Junior Duck Stamp Design Contest held at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. Learn more about the artist at his web site: www.secondnaturegallery.com